Today a lot of people are trying a keto diet for weight loss goals. The history of the keto diet isn’t as modern as we think. A long time ago in old ages, the human was eating this whole raw food and struggling for their life. When you see period films of those days you can observe that the characters are so slim and smart.
The reason is this keto diet with whole food concept. So when we eat whole food skipping the Junk and processed food we are most like to lose weight. And the keto diet is a perfect way for weight loss.
What is the ketogenic diet and how does it work for Weight Loss?
The ketogenic diet is low in carbs high in protein and fats resembles with Atkins. It’s all about replacing your source of energy from carbohydrates to fats gradually. When you achieve this, you are in a state called ketosis.
When you are in ketosis your body burns fat and it also helps create ketones in the liver that actually improves the brain’s efficiency.
As the ketogenic diet reduces insulin and sugar so the ketogenic diet not only helps weight loss process but also provides many health benefits.
Can you try this keto diet for weight loss?
Now let’s talk about how it is possible but before we go further first, we need to know how the ketogenic diet works. As we all know that the ketogenic diet is mostly composed of fats and then protein. Amount of carbohydrates is zero or very low.
Our main source of energy is glucose (blood sugar). When we do keto, our liver is forced to use ketones created by ketogenic diet instead of glucose (blood sugar) from carbohydrates.
On this ketogenic diet, the liver breaks down the previously stored fat into new molecules called ketones and the process of breaking down the fats into ketones is termed as ketogenesis. That’s how this diet is called the ketogenic diet or simply keto diet
The question is how to get started on this ketogenic diet?
Everyone is different so everyone needs a different number of macros (ratio between fat, protein, carbohydrates). As an average when we talk about the carbs that are the major issue to be resolved it should be less than 20-50 grams a day depending upon the physical requirement.
You must be thinking that how long does it take to be in ketosis?
Well, it depends but it can take 2-4 days to get into the state of ketosis when the main source of energy is fat.
There are many diets out there like Paleo and Atkins etc. but the main difference between keto and the other diets is that in a ketogenic diet up to 90% of the day to day calories consumptions come from fat.
If you are ready to go then I would personally recommend going by the healthier source of protein and fats.
You can start with:
- Olive Oil
- Nuts (Walnuts, Almonds)
Pro Tip: After a few weeks of ketogenic diet go with calory reduction style of diet with increasing the physical activity. In the long term, it will really help you.
Keto Diet Food List: What do I eat on the keto diet for weight loss?
Keto diet food list is a primary requirement for anyone who is planning to start the keto diet. You need to know what exactly is included in this type of eating. What to eat and what to skip. We need this to avoid side effects and many other consequences.
Due to a lot of information available on the internet, it’s overwhelming to start the keto diet. Despite having a bunch of recipes you are not sure if it’s keto-friendly or not.
By looking at this problem we’ve come across the solution to collect all the available keto options at one place so that there is no confusion left.
We have categorized the food list into different categories:
- Beef- Ground beef, Steak, Ribs, and Roasts
- Pork- Chops, Ribs, BACON, Loins, sausage
- Chicken/ Turkey- Thighs w/ skin or wings are the best because breasts are high in protein. However, you CAN eat breasts, just have to eat more fat to compensate.
- Fish- Tuna, Salmon, Cod, Haddock, etc.
- Shrimp/ Lobster- Go crazy, use lots of butter!
- Mozerella & Cheddar
- Colby jack, pepper jack, Monterrey jack
- Taco style, Mexican style
- Parmesan, Asiago
- Cottage cheese
- Cream Cheese
Only non-starchy vegetables are low carb. These vegetables contain a lot of fibre that can’t be digested like a carb. So, on the ketogenic diet, you should avoid starchy vegetables like potato, beets, yams etc.
Meanwhile, you can eat the following:
- Leafy greens- Spinach, Spring Mix, Kale, Romaine
- Zucchini- Great for a noodle substitute!
- Brussels sprouts
- Spaghetti Squash
- Peppers- Jalepeño, banana, green/ red/ yellow/ orange bell
- Pickles (Read nutrition labels, watch for sugar and carbs)
- Green beans
- Onions- Red, yellow: use somewhat sparingly, to taste
Most are a no-no, especially bananas, oranges and grapes.
- Strawberries: 6 grams net carbs (8 grams total carbs)
- Blueberries: 12 grams net carbs (14 grams total carbs)
- Raspberries: 6 grams net carbs (12 grams total carbs)
- Blackberries: 5 grams net carbs (10 grams total carbs)
- Lemon/ Limes- Adds great flavour!
Nuts (grams of Carbs per 100 grams, or 3.5 oz)
- Pecans/ Brazil (4g)
- Macadamia (5g)
- Hazelnut/ Walnut/ Peanut (7g)
- Pine (9g)
- Almond (10g)
- Pistachio (18g)
- Cashew (27g)
- Coconut Oil
- Butter: Kerry Gold is best but just make sure it’s REAL butter and not a spread or margarine
- Olive Oil
- Bacon/ sausage grease
- MCT oil- easily ordered online/ in speciality stores
Dressings/ Condiments/ Fats
- Ranch, Blue cheese, Cesar, Thousand Island, Balsamic- Watch carbs/ sugar, but there are tons of brands, so you can find one you love!
- Mayo- Natural/ organic is best, but I use Hellmann’s all the time.
- Heinz “NO SUGAR ADDED” Ketchup or sugar-free ketchup
- G. Hughes brand sugar-free BBQ sauce
- Yellow/ Spicy Brown Mustard
- Soy sauce
- Hot sauce
Liquids: Use as a base for sauces/ soups
- Heavy Whipping Cream (HWC)
- Broths/ Stocks: Stay away from reduced fat. Bone broth is awesome!
- Slim Jims/ jerky (watch carbs)
- Homemade cheese its/ tortilla chips
- Pork rinds
- WATER- Lots of it!
- Crystal Light- Tons of options and very convenient!
- Tea with stevia
- Coffee- Add a Tablespoon of coconut oil or MCT oil, Stevia, heavy whipping cream and imitation vanilla/ Hazelnut or Cocoa powder & peppermint
- BOOM Homemade creamer!
- Beers (grams of carbs per 12 oz serving)
- Bud Select 55 (1.9)
- MGD 64 (2.4)
- Rolling Rock Green Light (2.4)
- Michelob Ultra (2.6)
- Bud Select (3.1)
- Beck’s Premier Light (3.2)
- Natural Light (3.2)
- Michelob Ultra Amber (3.7)
- Coors Light (5)
- Amsterdam Light (5)
- Bud Light (6.6)
- Vodka: Whipped Vodka & flavoured water or pineapple Pinnacle with crystal
- light is a couple of my favourites!
- Whiskey shot (0g carbs)
- Brandy shot (0g carbs)
- Dry Martini (0g carbs)
- Tequila shot (0g carbs)
- Champagne (~1g per serving)
- Dry wine (~2g per serving)
- Stevia drops (0g)
- Erythritol (0g)
- Truvía (0g)
- Monkfruit (0g)
Don’t forget your electrolytes, they are needed daily.
- A good form of electrolytes is:
- Powerade zero
- Pickle juice
- Pink Himalayan salt added to your food
Clams: 5 grams
Mussels: 7 grams
Octopus: 4 grams
Oysters: 4 grams
Squid: 3 grams
1-gram carb per serving with 5 calories
28-gram (One Ounce) serving of olives contains 2 grams of a total carbs-1 gram of fibre so net carbs=1g.
How much weight can you lose on the keto diet?
There is no exact answer to this question. Here is why? It’s a little bit difficult to sustain this diet for beginners. So, you should stick to this diet at least for one month to see the results. In the first 2-3 weeks, you are going to lose only the water weight and it’s because of calories deficient process. After 30 days if you are still on the keto diet then there is a great chance to lose a remarkable amount of weight. You can lose 10 pounds within the first 30 days.
After these 30 days, you are good enough to decide whether you like to continue this or not. Will you do a regular exercise with this high fat, high protein and low carb diet or not. Every factor will affect your weight loss positively or negatively. Are you ready to go in-depth???
There is no exact way to know how much weight you are going to lose on this diet. Go ahead with all your focus and research. Start with simple recipes and enjoy the journey.
If you are determined to try the keto diet this plan is worth your attention. This ketogenic diet isn’t going to show you the magical results but it’s all your effort you putt in to see you in a different shape.
There is no danger to try but be confident and ready to see the possible results.
You can check this ketogenic diet plan to get started.